Ignite is an inclusive yet challenging group open to anyone aged 18 plus with little, no or lots of acting experience who wants to take up a new hobby and learn more about the art of performance without the pressure to perform (although if you do decide you want to give performing a go – we can make that happen for you). The primary focus of the sessions is to be provide a creative outlet and fun way to let off some steam from day to day life. Each term will follow a different theme ranging from comedy to character development, the basic skills of an actor to script work. The sessions are ran by our Gatecrash Ignite Tutor Anna Friend. Anna recently directed the hugely successful Wroughton Passion Play for Gatecrash and runs her own award winning theatre school for children and teenagers called ‘Quirky Bird’ based in Royal Wootton Bassett. Anna has worked as a teacher and professional theatre Director for the last 11 years and has directed several productions with professional and amateur performers.
There is no audition process to join this group and no termly sign-up! Once you are a member you can remain a member until such a time as you wish to move on or feel ready for public performance with Gatecrash.
As a member of Gatecrash Ignite you are not required to audition for the company. These workshops are led by a highly experienced theatre practitioner but provide a relaxed, fun and supportive group and a chance to meet new friends in a creative environment. As well as the weekly workshops you are also entitled too:
- Optional Theatre trips at least six times a year with the group
- attend one day workshops led by professionals in specific creative skills (e.g scriptwriting, physical theatre, mask work, directing etc)
- Optional involvement in the summer performance project ‘Yearn And Learn’
- Regular theatre and arts based opportunities.
Members of Gatecrash Ignite may choose to audition for Gatecrash Evolve after they have developed their skill set and confidence enough to be ready for performance.
As part of our ongoing residency at New College, Swindon – Gatecrash now offers a weekly subsidised session EXCLUSIVELY for students aged 16-18 from the college. The weekly sessions are run by two professional theatre practitioners (a director, Natasha Garbutt and an actor, Jordan Turk) both of which work with Gatecrash on multiple other projects and offer a high quality youth theatre and creative space to explore different theatre approaches. The high energy, inspiring sessions take place at the college and follow a different theme each term with a different outlook from each of the two practitioners.
As a member of Gatecrash Youth you will be invited too….
- attend weekly workshops led by highly experienced theatre practitioners developing as a performer and keeping your creative energy up!
- perform in an intensive summer production – GCY PLay In A Week under a professional director.
- attend one day workshops and short courses led by professionals in specific creative skills at a reduced GC member fee (e.g improvisation, script writing, physical theatre, mask work, directing etc)
- receive professional mentoring (meetings, work shadowing, support emails) from an artist working in your desired field (e.g theatre design, stage management, acting, directing, writing, producing) at a reduced GC member fee.
- receive one to one tuition or/and audition preparation at a reduced GC member fee.
- Information about other available, reputable opportunities in your chosen field.
- Informal ongoing support to you as an artist. Advice and guidance.
Where and when we meet:
Gatecrash Ignite meet on Thursday evenings from 7.30 – 9.30pm and Youth meet on a Wednesday from 4-6pm for ten weeks of each term in a specially designed studio space at New College, Swindon.
Term Dates 2016-2017:
w.c 19th September to w.c 28th November (not w.c 24th October)
w.c 9th January to w.c 20th March 2017 (not w.c 13th February)
w.c 24th April to w.c 3rd July 2017 (not w.c 29th May)
£70 per term for either Gatecrash Ignite (£7 per session)
£20 per term for Gatecrash Youth (£2 a session)
Want to join us? Click here for more details on how to join